Upgrading InfluxDB failed. For some reason the update caused permission issues with the start-up script:
When I gave this file permission to execute the InfluxDB service started again:
chmod +x /usr/lib/influxdb/scripts/influxd-systemd-start.sh
Then, the next problem appeared: systemctl didn’t recognise that the service was actually running: it was stuck in the state “activating”. Then I found an article on serverfault that described my problem.
I’m running InfluxDB on Debian so couldn’t apply the suggestion solution, but needed to interpret this a bit. I edited the file:
I changed the type to simple, as indicated in this code sample:
[Unit] Description=InfluxDB is an open-source, distributed, time series database Documentation=https://docs.influxdata.com/influxdb/ After=network-online.target [Service] User=influxdb Group=influxdb LimitNOFILE=65536 EnvironmentFile=-/etc/default/influxdb ExecStart=/usr/lib/influxdb/scripts/influxd-systemd-start.sh KillMode=control-group Restart=on-failure Type=simple PIDFile=/var/lib/influxdb/influxd.pid [Install] WantedBy=multi-user.target Alias=influxd.service